Watch a video about the impact that Operation Backpack® makes in the lives of NYC students who are homeless:
Operation Backpack® 2018 is Underway!
In 2017, thanks to our Official Sponsors and 260+ corporate and other community partners, Operation Backpack® provided 18,000 homeless children with a new backpack full of every grade-specific school supply they needed in time for the first day of school. These students received their backpacks before the first day of school, so they were able to start the year looking and feeling more like their housed classmates and less like a child in need.
Get Involved in the 2018 Campaign:
- OFFICIAL SPONSORSHIP. To help underwrite the 2018 campaign and enjoy the benefits that come with sponsorship, watch this video or contact Rachel Weinstein, Operation Backpack® founder at email@example.com or (212) 496-4305.
DONATE. To make an online donation, visit the Operation Backpack® 2018 fundraising page. To send a check, make it out to Volunteers of America-Greater New York and include Operation Backpack® in the subject line. Checks can be sent to:
Volunteers of America-Greater New York
135 West 50th Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10020
Attn: Rachel Weinstein
- FUNDRAISE. Get your friends, family and colleagues involved. Form your own fundraising team here.
- ORGANIZE. Talk with your building management about holding a drive to collect backpacks and supplies. To learn more, contact Andrew Zibell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FILL A BACKPACK. Download our grade-specific supply lists and fill a new backpack with required school supplies. Drop your donation at any of our public drop locations in New York City and New Jersey.
- BE SOCIAL. Follow Volunteers of America-Greater New York on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and use the hashtag #OperationBackpackNYC.
Starting on July 9, join in our #OBPFirstDay campaign by sharing a favorite First Day of School photo on social media with the hashtag #OBPFirstDay. Our partner The Weeks Lerman Group will donate $2 (up to $10,000) for every photo shared! Learn more.
- For other ways to get involved contact us.
Operation Backpack® News
July 8, 2018
Starting on July 9, share a favorite “First Day of School” photo of yourself (or a child in your life) on Twitter, Instagram, and/or Facebook using the hashtag #OBPFirstDay, and The Weeks Lerman Group will donate $2 to Operation Backpack® for every photo shared!
June 20, 2018
At this year's PromaxBDA conference, which took place in New York City, attendees were given the opportunity to participate in a community service project benefiting Operation Backpack®.
June 18, 2018
From Sunday, June 17 through Saturday, June 30, customers shopping at participating Walgreens and Duane Reade stores will be able to donate to the 2018 Operation Backpack® campaign at checkout.
About Operation Backpack®
One of the most devastating consequences of homelessness is the impact it can have on a child's education. Frequent school transfers and the stigma associated with living in a shelter add up to great hardship for these children. If not for Operation Backpack®, many of these children would begin the school year with another disadvantage: unlike their classmates, they would enter the classroom with no backpack and few, if any, school supplies. So on day one, these kids would be identified as "disadvantaged" or worse – "shelter kids" –setting the stage for their entire school year.
But the New York City community and beyond has the opportunity to change this story. The success of Operation Backpack® relies 100% on support from the community in the form of financial underwriting, donations of product and services and spreading the word and engaging others in the campaign. Each year since 2004, Volunteers of America-Greater New York has been distributing new backpacks filled with grade-specific school supplies to homeless children throughout New York City. This year, thanks to the generosity of thousands of people who live in, work in, or otherwise care about New York City, we believe that we will be able to give every student living in a homeless or domestic violence shelter who needs one, a new, full backpack.
Watch a video about three Operation Backpack® supporters who show steadfast commitment to the cause:
Watch a video about why Kevin Bacon believes in the mission of Operation Backpack®: