Watch a video about the impact that Operation Backpack® makes in the lives of NYC students who are homeless:
Operation Backpack® 2018 Planning is Underway!
In 2017, thanks to 260+ corporate and other community partners,
Operation Backpack® was able to provide every student living in a NYC shelter
who needed one — 18,000 children — with a new, full backpack. These students received their backpacks before the first day of school, so they were able to start the year looking and feeling more like their housed classmates and more like a child in need.
Get Involved in the 2018 Campaign:
- SPONSOR. To help underwrite the 2018 campaign and learn about the benefits of early sponsorship, contact Rachel Weinstein, Operation Backpack® founder, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DONATE. To make an online donation, visit the Operation Backpack® 2018 fundraising page. To send a check, make it out to Volunteers of America and include Operation Backpack® in the subject line. Checks can be sent to:
Volunteers of America-Greater New York
135 West 50th Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10020
Attn: Rachel Weinstein
- FUNDRAISE. Get your friends, family and colleagues involved. Form your own fundraising team here.
- ORGANIZE. Talk with your building management about holding a drive to collect backpacks and supplies. To learn more, contact Andrew Zibell at email@example.com.
- For other ways to get involved contact us here.
About Operation Backpack®
One of the most devastating consequences of homelessness is the impact it can have on a child's education. Frequent school transfers and the stigma associated with living in a shelter add up to great hardship for these children. If not for Operation Backpack®, many of these children would begin the school year with another disadvantage: unlike their classmates, they would enter the classroom with no backpack and few, if any, school supplies. So on day one, these kids would be identified as "disadvantaged" or worse – "shelter kids" –setting the stage for their entire school year.
But the New York City community and beyond has the opportunity to change this story. The success of Operation Backpack® relies 100% on support from the community in the form of financial underwriting, donations of product and services and spreading the word and engaging others in the campaign. Each year since 2004, Volunteers of America-Greater New York has been distributing new backpacks filled with grade-specific school supplies to homeless children throughout New York City. This year, thanks to the generosity of thousands of people who live, work or care about New York City, we believe that we will be able to give every student living in a homeless or domestic violence shelter who needed one, a new, full backpack.