The 2017 Operation Backpack® campaign is ending
and thanks to 260+ corporate and other community partners,
we were able to provide every student living in a NYC shelter
who needed one — 18,000 children — with a new, full backpack
in time for the first day of school!
THANK YOU - WITH YOUR HELP, WE DID IT!
While we are no longer accepting donations of backpacks and supplies,
we are already beginning to confirm major sponsors and other
corporate and community partners for next year’s campaign.
Ways to Help:
- SPONSOR. To help underwrite the 2018 campaign and learn about the benefits of early sponsorship, contact Rachel Weinstein, Operation Backpack® founder, at email@example.com. See how two sponsors, David Matera and the OOH Pitch Team, were honored at last year's gala at The Plaza. Mark your calendars for this year's gala on Tuesday, December 5.
- DONATE. Any donations made after September 12, 2017, will automatically be rolled over to next year's campaign. To make an online donation, visit the Operation Backpack® 2018 fundraising page. To send a check, make it out to Volunteers of America and include Operation Backpack® in the subject line. Checks can be sent to:
Volunteers of America-Greater New York
340 West 85th Street
New York, NY 10024
Attn: Rachel Weinstein
- FUNDRAISE. Get your friends, family and colleagues involved. Form your own fundraising team here.
- ORGANIZE. Talk with your building management about holding a drive to collect backpacks and supplies. To learn more, contact Andrew Zibell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For other ways to get involved contact us here.
About Operation Backpack®
One of the most devastating consequences of homelessness is the impact it can have on a child's education. Frequent school transfers and the stigma associated with living in a shelter add up to great hardship for these children. If not for Operation Backpack®, many of these children would begin the school year with another disadvantage: unlike their classmates, they would enter the classroom with no backpack and few, if any, school supplies. So on day one, these kids would be identified as "disadvantaged" or worse "shelter kids" setting the stage for their entire school year.
But the New York City community and beyond has the opportunity to change this story. Indeed, the success of Operation Backpack® relies 100% on support from the community in the form of financial underwriting, donations of product and services and spreading the word and engaging others in the campaign. Each year since 2004, Volunteers of America-Greater New York has been distributing new backpacks filled with grade-specific school supplies to homeless children throughout New York City. This year, thanks to the generosity of thousands of people who live, work or care about New York City, we believe that we will be able to give every student living in a homeless or domestic violence shelter who needed one, a new, full backpack.