July Volunteer Opportunities
Get Involved with Operation Backpack®
There are several ways to support Operation Backpack®, whether you're looking to make a significant financial contribution, start a fundraising team or volunteer with friends and family:
- ADOPT A PRODUCT: If your company is looking to make a significant in-kind or financial contribution, adopting a product is a great option. Adopting a product involves purchasing the entirety or bulk of one specific school supply, such as all of the scientific calculators or watercolor paint sets needed. We leverage economies of scale to make your dollars go further. Some supplies that need adopting this year are:
- Loose-leaf paper (wide-ruled and college-ruled)
- Watercolor paint sets
- 2-pocket heavy plastic folders
- Scientific calculators
- Geometry kits (protractor and compass set)
- 5" safety scissors
To learn more, contact Andrew Zibell at (212) 496-4307 or email@example.com.
- FUNDRAISE: Start a CrowdRise team for an easy and effective way to get friends, family and colleagues to support the cause! Over the years, we've seen a lot of creative fundraisers — from parents asking for donations in lieu of their child's 1st birthday gift, to retired teachers who know the importance and value of a backpack full of supplies. Follow these simple steps to create your own CrowdRise team.
- ORGANIZE A DRIVE: A great way to rally support for Operation Backpack® is by organizing a drive or "mini sort" at your company, school or place of worship. To learn more about what this entails, contact Andrew Zibell at (212) 496-4307 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FILL A BACKPACK: If you're going back-to-school shopping with your own child, consider filling an extra backpack or two. We have compiled four grade-specific supply lists to make your shopping easier (please stick to the list as closely as possible)! Once you've filled your backpack, we ask that you label it with the appropriate grade and note on the label if any supplies are missing.
- BECOME A SPONSOR: If your company is in a position to help underwrite the campaign, sponsorship begins at $50,000 and comes with a range of benefits, including but not limited to:
- Public recognition of your support through various marketing outlets, including out-of-home advertising throughout New York City
- An invitation to "Media Day" during Sort Week when press covers the event
- A customized video produced by Volunteers of America-Greater New York that showcases your company's involvement
To learn more, contact Rachel Weinstein at (212) 496-4305 or email@example.com.